About Me

My photo
Pogo is a recovering former journalist, and this blog is intentionally written in a style more like a tone poem than a news piece, if you are a grammar cop this is probably not the blog for you. If you are more interested in content and feeling than where the semicolon goes, this is the blog for you. Pogo is an artist, pundit, socially conscious neo-liberal-hippy-fascist "FIPPY" of Japanese and Idaho pioneer stock, descendent of farmers, hermits and historical oddballs, she escaped to the big city only to return home to care for her nisei geezers and write about her long lost homeland while painting some stuff and seeing if social change is possible.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Thanks for the Thunderegg

Does it sound just too damn L.A. of me to say that I don't know if I could have even considered making this work if I hadn't found out that my home town of Nyssa with it's one adorable lighted traffic intersection has a cyber cafe? Okay I own it. I love my internet. I need it for work I enjoy it for play and I also like fruit smoothies and chai and it also didn't hurt to find out that in the 26 years I've been gone that Boise has grown into a pretty interesting city and there is INDIAN FOOD! Thanks to the internet, I also have reconnected with some old friends and some of them sound like left friendly folks. Will I really be able to get a women's writing group together? A lot of cool folks have returned home to do just what I am doing, being near their aging family members. Time transcends cities and good Indian food. I need to spend time with my dad and my uncle while they are still here. For the first time in my life I feel like I actually have the ability to help them for a change, they have been there for me for so long. Two tiny titans of indie farming, internment camp survivors living in a tiny rural pocket of other internment camp survivors who relocated to the same tiny town on the Oregon Idaho border, one of the very very few who welcomed the Japanese Americans after their release. 60+ years later, there are generations of Japanese American offspring, driving  4x4 trucks into mud bogs, shooting guns and chewing tobacco like every other  kid in the valley. My older cousin once had a souped up Chevy Nova rigged to carry a pony keg in the trunk but have the tap in the cab and instead of a confederate flag in the back it was a rising sun.
Total Samurai Dukes of Hazard.

I voted for Ralph Nadar twice.

I like making my own grey line out of scavenged swimming pool cleaning tubes found on Craigslist.

The thing I have always loved about Big Sky Country, the Treasure Valley is that the pioneer spirit has a great love of the freedom of the individual.

I am really counting on it.

I would also like to think I have not turned into a citified sissy snob.

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment